Starting a Business

Thinking of Starting a Business?
Here is a checklist...

Registering Your Business
The State of Washington provides one-stop business registration to assist in understanding and meeting federal, state, and local licensing requirements. The process includes obtaining a Master Business Application and UBI number and registering a Trade Name. Applications for a Master Business License can be obtained at:

Master Business Application
Washington State Dept. of Revenue
P. O. Box 9034
Olympia, WA 98507-9034
1-800-647-7706 (automated)
Dept. of Labor and Industries
Washington State
500 Pacific Ave., Suite 400
Bremerton, WA 98312

Request a new Master Application if you are changing your business, structure, name, ownership, product or service, etc..

Obtaining a City License
For information on obtaining a city license call the City of Port Orchard or click on this link for frequently asked questions.  To download a City of Port Orchard Business License click here. The City of Port Orchard can be reached at 360-876-4407 Mon. thru Fr. from 8am-4pm.

Obtaining a Specialty License
Many times a business owner may need additional licenses for landscaping, painting, shipbuilding, or other purposes. For more information on specialty licenses, contact the Business and Professions Division at 360/753-4401, or on the Department of Licensing web site at

State and Federal Tax Requirements
These vary with the form and nature of your business. For state tax assistance, contact the Department of Revenue at 1-800-647-7706 or The IRS can assist you with federal forms, information, and publications. For general information, call 1-800-829-1040. For IRS forms and Business Tax Kits, call 1-800-829-3676.

Wage Regulations
For questions concerning wage regulations, call or write to the Department of Labor & Industries at:

Department of Labor & Industries
Employment Standards
315 - 5th Ave. S, Suite 200
Seattle, WA 98104-2607
1-206-515-2800 or 1-800-274-1288

Industrial Health & Safety Regulations
For information on health and safety rules, contact:

Division of Industrial Safety & Health
P. O. Box 44600
Olympia, WA 98504-4600
1-800-423-7233 or 1-360-902-5470




Industrial Insurance
For information on hiring employees, on insurance, and on tax withholding for employees, contact:

Division of Industrial Insurance
Employer Services
P. O. Box 44144, MS-4144
Olympia, WA 98504-4144
1-800-321-2808 or 1-360-902-5799

Environmental Regulations
For guidelines or permits concerning air/water quality, shoreline protection, waste disposal, etc. contact:

Washington State Department of Ecology
P. O. Box 47600
Olympia, WA 98504-7600
1-425-649-7000 – Northwest Regional Office

Employment Security
Call 360-902-9500 for information.

Local Fire Regulations
South Kitsap Fire District 7 is located 1974 Fircrest Dr. SE. Port Orchard. Contact them at 360-871-2411 or 

Business Assistance
For general business information, start-up information or business assistance, contact the CTED Business Assistance Center’s Hotline at 1-800-237-1233.

Small Business Development
The Washington State University Small Business Development Center provides one-on-one counseling to small businesses. The centers help businesses develop a business plan, map out a business strategy, develop a bookkeeping system, and assist with business start-up at no cost. Also, at no cost, the centers help businesses with research and market analysis. Furthermore through a statewide network of community colleges, the centers sponsor education and training workshops. For more information and/or an appointment, call the Small Business Development Center- Olympic college in Bremerton  Norm Dicks Government Center
345 6th Street, Suite 568 
Bremerton, WA  98337 
Phone: 360.307.4220   Fax: 360.337.4864 
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

or the Seattle office at (2401 Fourth Ave., Suite 450), 1-206-553-7328;

Washington State - Office of Trade and Economic Development

The Office of Trade and Economic Development (OTED) offers a variety of programs providing technical and financial assistance to support new and existing businesses within Washington. These programs include Business Retention and Expansion, Business Finance, Child Care Advantages and Minority and Women Business Development assistance. Additionally, OTED offers assistance to businesses that are considering a new or expanded location in Washington State. OTED's International Trade Division provides import-export assistance to Washington businesses.